Happy Official Space Holiday Eve! Enjoy this first look at the series of PSA spoofs, in partnership with STAND, Arizona ‘s statewide anti-tobacco youth coalition, that we’ll be releasing in late January.
Voyage Trekkers are going legit! Over the past few months we’ve been working on a secret project with the ad agency RIESTER and STAND (Students Taking A New Direction), Arizona’s statewide anti-tobacco youth coalition, to produce a series of comedy spots starring the worst starship crew in the galaxy!
“Voyage Trekkers To The Rescue” is a satire of the old, stiff PSAs we all saw when we were kids. They’ll be fun, irreverent, and with the exact same style of humor you’d expect from the web series.
These commercials will feature the Voyage Trekkers crew who are on a mission to stop kids from smoking (possibly due to community service, it’s hinted) and educating people throughout the galaxy about it’s dangers. They’ll spoof all the tropes and situations of these PSAs, and the characters themselves being their normal ridiculous selves, but not at the expense of the message.
We’ve been working with some fantastic people at RIESTER and STAND, and the whole thing has been a heck of a lot of fun. We can’t wait to show you these … and you shouldn’t have too wait long … expect them to hit the web early next year!
If you’ve looked into starting your own crowdfunding campaign, whether it’s Kickstarter or Indiegogo, you’ve probably heard the phrase that running one is like “a full time job.” What they usually don’t elaborate on is that your new full time job is marketing and PR.
Let’s talk specifics because I always find that more valuable than some broad sweeping statements.
Here’s what’s on my To Do list today:
- Writing the new draft of a press release we’re sending out today, updated with the recent news of hitting our initial goal (Yay!).
- Update the Voyage Trekkers website with the same press release so that it can be linked via twitter.
- Listen to a podcast Kickstarter campaigns (Funding the Dream) to pick up any additional tips.
- Give shout outs to today’s contributors on our Twitter.
- Reach out to a friend to see if he has any press contacts he could possibly connect us with.
- Respond to each new contributor via email after their donation, giving them thanks for their support.
- Finish planning a new Exclusive Perk that the wonderful women of Educating [Geeks] are donating to the project and update the Indiegogo page.
- Creating a graphic in Photoshop for the new perk that’s ideal for Facebook and Twitter.
- Announcing the new Perk across our social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter)
- Creating an Update on our Indiegogo page to let exisitng fans know about the New Perk.
- Remind some of the actors to attend the end-of-campaign Fundraiser Party that we’re having on June 29th.
- Check in on the Facebook Ad campaign — we’re running a $50 ad throughout the week to bring in new fans (to “Like” the page).
- Close-caption one of the episodes of Voyage Trekkers to test out YouTube’s process. Maybe we can get the show posted by Caption Web TV and get some new audience members.
- Post the campaign on Message Boards (Star Trek sites, Indie filmmaker sites) to spread the word.
- Posting the next installment of our text-based Choose Your Own Path Adventure we’ve been running this week on our Facebook page, to keep up engagement. Luckily I don’t have to write it!
- Do the dishes (they really need to be done).
- …and post this blog!
So ideally you want a team of people helping you. For me, I have my friend Shannon doing the press outreach and sending out the new press release to as many sites as she can manage … and co-creator and writer (and actor) on the show, Craig Curtis, writing the Choose Your Own Path story … but I’m doing the bulk of the heavy lifting. And I’m able to do all this because I do freelance video work (so basically I’m unemployed right now, lol).
All this is to continue the momentum of the project going and to keep the word spreading before the end of your campaign.
Then you can sleep!
To check out our Indiegogo Campaign for ‘Voyage Trekkers: The Movie’ click here: http://igg.me/at/voyagetrekkersmovie/x/364575
It’s been a long time in the making, we’ve been writing the script for over a year now, but I’m proud to finally announce that we’re making a Voyage Trekkers movie — and our campaign is now live on Indiegogo!
It’s scary territory for sure, but I’m also so energized and excited about the future. Please take a look at our campaign, we can’t do this project without the help from our audience.
Here’s also a look at some of the cool rewards we’re offering as part of the campaign (…and yes, that’s a board game at the bottom!!!).
Okay, so we did something a little nutty … but hey, that’s what life is for! We joined forces with the National Comedy Theatre of Phoenix to create a live, half-hour, improvised episode of Voyage Trekkers with audience participation.
Commander Powell (Logan Blackwell) and Dr. Rena (Gabrielle Van Buren) visit an alien world, fraught with conflict, to complete their new mission … sell Galactic Union timeshares!
Our new short film, “Logan Must Make Star Wars”, is now on the YouTubes! (well, actually, it’s been up for a week or so, I’m just a lazy blogger).
It was a hell of an experience, as all these 48 hour movies are. We were honored to win Best Story, Best Directing, and Best Comedy at the 10th Anniversary Almost Famous Film Challenge.
It’s probably our last 48 hour movie, as we’re moving forward into features (fingers crossed), but as both Sean Connery and Justin Bieber say … Never say never.
We’re happy to announce that Voyage Trekkers has been nominated by the International Academy of Web Television for Best Makeup/Special Effects.
The IAWTV Awards is an official web television industry awards ceremony created by content creators, for content creators. The awards will be held at CES in Las Vegas on January 7th.
Congratulations to our crew, Nathan Stipes and Mark Greenawalt, who are up for the award. Here’s a sample of their awesome work below. Also, kudos to the other nominees, many of whom are friends of ours: Standard Action, Zombie Orpheus Entertaiment – Gamers: Hands of Fate, Fallout: Nuka Break, and One Hit Die.