If you’ve looked into starting your own crowdfunding campaign, whether it’s Kickstarter or Indiegogo, you’ve probably heard the phrase that running one is like “a full time job.” What they usually don’t elaborate on is that your new full time job is marketing and PR.
Let’s talk specifics because I always find that more valuable than some broad sweeping statements.
Here’s what’s on my To Do list today:
- Writing the new draft of a press release we’re sending out today, updated with the recent news of hitting our initial goal (Yay!).
- Update the Voyage Trekkers website with the same press release so that it can be linked via twitter.
- Listen to a podcast Kickstarter campaigns (Funding the Dream) to pick up any additional tips.
- Give shout outs to today’s contributors on our Twitter.
- Reach out to a friend to see if he has any press contacts he could possibly connect us with.
- Respond to each new contributor via email after their donation, giving them thanks for their support.
- Finish planning a new Exclusive Perk that the wonderful women of Educating [Geeks] are donating to the project and update the Indiegogo page.
- Creating a graphic in Photoshop for the new perk that’s ideal for Facebook and Twitter.
- Announcing the new Perk across our social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter)
- Creating an Update on our Indiegogo page to let exisitng fans know about the New Perk.
- Remind some of the actors to attend the end-of-campaign Fundraiser Party that we’re having on June 29th.
- Check in on the Facebook Ad campaign — we’re running a $50 ad throughout the week to bring in new fans (to “Like” the page).
- Close-caption one of the episodes of Voyage Trekkers to test out YouTube’s process. Maybe we can get the show posted by Caption Web TV and get some new audience members.
- Post the campaign on Message Boards (Star Trek sites, Indie filmmaker sites) to spread the word.
- Posting the next installment of our text-based Choose Your Own Path Adventure we’ve been running this week on our Facebook page, to keep up engagement. Luckily I don’t have to write it!
- Do the dishes (they really need to be done).
- …and post this blog!
So ideally you want a team of people helping you. For me, I have my friend Shannon doing the press outreach and sending out the new press release to as many sites as she can manage … and co-creator and writer (and actor) on the show, Craig Curtis, writing the Choose Your Own Path story … but I’m doing the bulk of the heavy lifting. And I’m able to do all this because I do freelance video work (so basically I’m unemployed right now, lol).
All this is to continue the momentum of the project going and to keep the word spreading before the end of your campaign.
Then you can sleep!
To check out our Indiegogo Campaign for ‘Voyage Trekkers: The Movie’ click here: http://igg.me/at/voyagetrekkersmovie/x/364575