- – - – - – -
From Voyage Trekkers Season 2 – Ep. 2: “Laser Swords At Dawn”
“Voyage Trekkers Season 2 – Episode 2: Laser Swords at Dawn” is here! This was the very first episode of Season 2 we shot, back in January of 2012. Now, obviously we were parodying the lightsabers from Star Wars, but we wanted to make something that was distinct and different looking for our show.
Star Wars concept art by Ralph Mcquarrie. Copyright Lucasfilm.
- – - – - – -
Ironically, the first ideas came from original Star Wars concept art right above, where the sabers had less of a “pole” looking blade and actually had some sharpness to it at the end and some “energy bulge” (yes, I’m using quotations on that) to the base.
Voyage Trekkers concept art for the laser sword.
- – - – - – -
We now had a direction to go with this little mock up I made above. We meaning Robert Baum, the animator who would be creating the effect and then painstakingly rotoscoping the blades over our live action versions, and Visual Effects Supervisor David Stipes.
Other visual references included the way that the game Halo did transparent colored energy, less with swords but more with their shields, and the energy weapons that the Transformers used in the very first episode of the cartoon. So we were moving kind of in the direction of the first Star Wars movie, where the swords were treated more like broadswords and less like katana.
Adam Rini holds the laser sword created by Todd Cook.
- – - – - – -
On the shoot the actors held their laser sword handles with long orange poles in them so that Robert could see exactly where the blades where supposed to be and could animate the energy beams over them. It actually took a while to find a distinct look for the laser swords. Here are just a few examples in the video below (enlarge and watch on HD to really see the variations)
- – - – - – -
We have some nifty behind the scenes videos below, the first being “Season 2 – Day 1″, which follows us on that first day of filming. There’s no laser sword action, we wanted to keep that a bit of a surprise for the episode, but it’s still fun. And second is a neat featurette on the making of some of the props by Todd Cook of Todd Cook Designs, including the laser swords.
- – - – - – -
- – - – -
We’re proud to announce that Season 2 has kicked off with the first episode, “Welcome Aboard.” Strap yourselves in a prepare for more adventures of the worst crew in the galaxy as they return to ruin new lives and civilizations!
As rewards to our fans we’re going to have a ton of bonus content for you during these crazy weeks as we roll out ten brand new episodes. This’ll include more podcasts and more Captain’s Blogs. And, as always, you can find a cornucopia of goodies on our Voyage Trekkers Facebook page!
Yeah, I didn’t really need sleep anyway…
We’re extremely excited to announce that Voyage Trekkers Season 2 is going to arrive on Wednesday May 1st! Ten new weekly episodes of the worst crew in the galaxy trying to make a name for themselves.
We’re having a launch party the night before the big release, at Tom’s Tavern in Phoenix, and you’re invited! Join the cast and crew on April 30th, Tuesday, from 6PM to 9PM. Have a drink, watch the first episode before it airs, and get some free Voyage Trekkers swag in the process!
Here’s the Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/491859847544046/
Voyage Trekkers Season 2 Launch Party Event
Know your Galactic Union uniforms!
There’s method to our madness and here’s your official primer to the Galactic Union uniforms!
CAPTAIN: Red, with a uniform designed to convey more heroic qualities of a leader. With Star Trek everyone is more or less presented equally among officers, and I wanted to push that just a bit out of balance giving Suntrike (and consequently all Captains) a bit more of a hero feel.
SCIENCE & MEDICAL: Light blue.
OFFICERS: Purple. The standard outfit for the Galactic Union.
ENGINEERING: ”Hazard” Orange. Their outfit is also rougher and not as shiny because they’re always getting it dirty. They also don’t have the arm stripes.
MARINES: Green. Like with the Navy, Space Marines are the fighting troops on board a Galactic Union space vessel.
ADMIRAL: Similar to the Captain’s outfit, they’re a touch more regal and statesman, with gold and black being the main colors.
Admiral Grissom (James Hoenscheidt; right) has to put up with Sunstrike’s antics as an Officer (Brian Blackwell; left) takes notes.
And lastly, there’s also differences between the male and female versions of the uniforms. When we (Costumer Designer Arlette Parra and I; her actually making them, me making little decisions that made her life an endless hastle) redesigned the outfits we started with Logan’s Blackwell Commander Powell uniform.
We liked the spacey reflective sheen of the colored taffeta mixed with the firmer, more uniform feel of the other fabric, but it didn’t look very flattering on the girls.
Gabby wearing the rejected outfit with the same fabric as Powell’s, which made her look like a medieval squire, while holding up her Season 1 outfit
So we made versions for both genders with the female one being a little more, ahem, complimentary to the female form.
Yes, there were more flattering pictures of Jenna available, but hey…
Voyage Trekkers – Gambit of Chance. Coming October 2012
We’re excited to finally announce that Craig Michael Curtis has secretly been crafting a Voyage Trekkers novella, entitled “Gambit of Chance”, due out this October as an e-book. With this announcement I thought I’d answer some questions you may have about the book (and tease you a bit too).
- How much will it cost? Most likely the e-book will be “Pay what you like.” Meaning that, yes, you can get the book for free. And if you want to pay $5 or $10 that’s certainly fine as well. All proceeds directly support the show.
- How long will it be? We’re not 100% sure yet, but under 200 pages is probably where we’ll end up.
- What’s the story of “Gambit of Chance”? The crew of the G.S.V. Remarkable are sent to a planet embroiled in political turmoil. There, each hero will find their courage tested as they risk to restore the balance. (but yes, hilarity ensues)
- Who is Craig Michael Curtis? He’s a novelist and a writer on Voyage Trekkers (he wrote the Voyage Trekkers Radio Play), but you may know him as General Kang from Episode 7 – “The Clutches of General Kang!”
- Is this Craig Michael Curtis first novel? But of course not! He’s a published author that’s actually written four novels (or five??? errr, I’m a bad friend…). You can check out his author blog and learn more about his other work right here: http://craigmcurtis.blogspot.com/
- Any hints or tidbits on what we might find in the book? “Gambit of Chance” will be the first appearance of many new crew members created for Season 2 of the web series. And because Craig is in the “inner circle” with the making of the show, he’s privy to a lot of details in the Voyage Trekkers universe that don’t always make the five minute episodes, but will help enrich the book.